At Croxley Danes School we seek to inspire all students to have the highest expectations about the careers they might enter and to prepare them for such careers. Our ultimate goal is to provide students with the qualifications, skills and confidence to achieve life-long well-being in their work.
Prepare pupils for a changing world, building lifelong skills learnt through dynamic and effective Careers Education.
All students in years 7-11 are entitled to receive a programme of Careers Education Information and Guidance which is:
- Centered around each student and their individual needs
- Independent, impartial and easily accessible via:
- The Careers section of the school website
- The Careers Education Noticeboard
- PSHE sessions
- Focused careers events
- Based on the principle of equality of opportunity
- Provided by adults with appropriate up-to-date education and training
- Is structured and forms an integral part of the students’ overall education
- Supports students in taking a proactive approach to their own careers development
Careers provision is regularly reviewed by Miss K Wilding (CEIAG Lead) and reported to senior leaders half termly. In addition, half termly meetings are conducted with a Hertfordshire Careers Advisor. The regular updates and reviews will reflect our compliance with the eight Gatsby Benchmarks.
In 2014, Lord Sainsbury’s Gatsby Charitable Foundation published a report by Professor Sir John Holman, Adviser in Education at the Gatsby Charitable Foundation, titled “Good Career Guidance.” The report identified eight benchmarks that are the core dimensions of good careers and enterprise provision in schools:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
The Gatsby Benchmarks have a key role in:
- Raising young people’s aspirations and promoting access to all career pathways
- Enabling all young people to develop the skills and outlook they need to achieve career well-being, including adaptability and resilience
- Underpinning the Department for Education guidance to schools on meeting their statutory responsibility for careers guidance.
The Careers Strategy at Croxley Danes School is designed to ensure that all 8 Gatsby Benchmarks are met where possible by the end of 2024.